NYS Scandal Ex-Deputy Director General, aspiring Governor arrested over scam

  • Published:

The two were then driven to the Integrity Centre and there after whisked away to court over abuse of office charges.

Ex-NYS Deputy Director General Adan Harakhe (above) and tender committee Chairman Hassan Noor were on Monday morning arrested and taken to court over abuse of office charges. play Ex-NYS Deputy Director General Adan Harakhe (above) and tender committee Chairman Hassan Noor were on Monday morning arrested and taken to court over abuse of office charges. (The Star)

Ex-NYS Deputy Director General Adan Harakhe and aspiring Mandera Governor who was also the Devolution ministry tender committee chairman Hassan Noor were on Monday morning arrested by Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) detectives.

The two were then driven to the Integrity Centre and there after whisked away to court over abuse of office charges.

Harakhe and Noor had initially appeared to be on the clear after they successfully fought off arrest by moving to court where they secured temporary orders barring police from arresting them.

play Former Devolution ministry tender committee chairman Hassan Noor was also arrested by Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) detectives. (Nation Media Group)

 

However last week, the court ordered that Mr Harakhe and Mr Noor be arrested over a Sh47 million scandal.

Shielding Harakhe

Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru had appeared to be shielding Harakhe from any blame over the NYS scandal when she told the Parliamentary Accounts Committee last month that it was former NYS director general Githinji who was was the AIE holder during the time period the money was lost and not former Deputy Director General.

play Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru appeared to be shielding Harakhe from any blame over the NYS scandal when she said that it was former NYS director general Githinji who was was the AIE holder during the time period the money was lost and not the former Deputy Director General. (Courtesy)

 

“There has been confusion for the last one and a half years in the media that the loss of Sh791 million happened when Harakhe was the AIE holder. I seek to clarify that the funds were stolen when the DG Githinji was the AIE holder,” she said.

Senior Principal Magistrate Felix Kombo issued the warrant of arrest against the two after they failed to show up court to answer charges of abuse of office and conspiracy to commit an economic crime.

The two were notified by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission about the charges but deliberately refused to go to court.

Former Devolution Principal Secretary Peter Mangiti is already facing charges in relation to the siphoning of Sh791 million from the National Youth Service. 

Subscribe to the P Live Newsletter!

Top 3

1 In The Bag Police arraign 3 men for allegedly strangulating man to deathbullet
2 Evil Heart Trader in court for allegedly pouring hot oil on womanbullet
3 Crucify Him Man in prison custody for beheading grandfatherbullet

General News