Do not be fooled.
It is one of the most commonly abused drugs in Kenya. Last weekend I took time and talked to youngins along the streets of Nairobi and seven out of the ten I randlomy picked could tell me where to get blunts in the middle of town; four had some that they we're ready to share with me and one asked while rolling one, "Who nyimas people weed?"
It's a real pandemic. You've probably heard about the great uses of marijuana. It helps reduces the chance of getting Cancer, it's great for treating Glaucoma, it helps with epileptic seizures and whole list of other things. However, what most people don't tell you is that it's also very dangerous.
Beyond the medical benefits (the main word there is medical) weed has various negative effects on the human brain and our social lives. There’s the common rapid heart beats, disoreintaton, lack of physical coordination, depression and iesleepiness that every user is aware of. Then there’s the following
1. THC which is the active ingredient in marijuana, can stay in your body for weeks or even months.
2. Long term weed smokers often suffer from chronic bronchitis where the respiratory tract experiences inflammation. According to research, weed contains 50 to 70 % more cancer causing substances than tobacco smoke.
3. Pot also affects the brain and how it functions. Studies have linked heavy use of weed to brain abnormalities. A number of researches have linked long term use of weed to psychosis and identified the changes in the brain to be similar to those caused by using major hard drugs.
Marijuana also affects the nerve cells of the brain and diminish mental functions of stoners.
4. It could also deform your sperms and cause temporary sterility in men and abnormal menstrual cycles in women.
5. Babies born by stoner mothers have shown a decreased abilities to concentrate and pursue life goals. Here’s the scary part, prenatal use of marijuana can lead to birth defects, mental abnormalities and increased risk of leaukemia. Weed causes abnormal cell division.